Sugar has been getting a bad rep for a great number of years. And for a great number of reasons. Here, you will examine some of the many ways in which sugar is considered bad for your health. Now, you do have to understand that there are many types of sugars.
Why Is Sugar Bad For Your Body?
- It does not contain any essential nutrient. Considered an empty calorie, sugar does not contain any essential nutrient such as vitamins and minerals. It also does not contain any enzymes or proteins or beneficial fats. In effect, sugar is simply a molecule of carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen atoms arranged together to pull minerals from the body during the process of digestion. To put it simply, it is just a calorie molecule.
- It is definitely not good for your teeth. Because sugar does not contain any nutrient whatsoever, it becomes an excellent food source for the bacteria in your mouth. Bacteria and fungi can grow and proliferate feeding off the sweets that you failed to brush. Over time, this can lead to serious periodontal diseases or gum diseases which can also lead to heart problems.
- It can lead to fatty liver. The liver metabolizes everything that is taken by the body. Glucose is primarily used by the cells for a variety of purposes but mainly for energy. Any glucose that is not used is converted into glycogen by the liver. If you add large amounts of fructose in your diet without increasing your energy expenditure, this fructose will also be converted into glycogen significantly increasing the levels of glycogen storage. The liver will have to convert the molecules of fructose into fat. And this leads to fatty liver disease. It should be important to remember that fructose in this sense is not the fructose that comes from fruit but rather from food additives.
- It can lead to insulin resistance. Insulin is needed by the body to move the glucose molecules from the blood and into the cells to provide them with the energy that they need. Unfortunately, too much sugar makes the cells immune to the effects of insulin. This means that they no longer respond to the chemical messages sent by insulin. This is the basis for a condition known as insulin resistance.
- It can lead to Type 2 Diabetes. Because of the cells’ resistance to insulin, glucose molecules can no longer move into the cells. Glucose is left circulating in the blood producing a condition known as hyperglycemia. This hyperglycemic state is the basis for the development of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus, a non-insulin dependent type of metabolic abnormality. With diabetes, you now have a host of complications which can include retinopathy, neuropathy, and nephropathy. In other words, type 2 diabetes starts with an abnormally high level of circulating blood sugar and the inability of the cells to utilize the blood sugar and you now have a host of different, more serious health problems.
There are other ways in which sugar is bad for your health. The most important thing to understand is that it is an energy molecule. Check out our great supplements by clicking the button below!